8/31/11

Trying to adjust

Preface: I found this in my blog archive from over a year ago (July 2010). I started it, but never finished it, and decided to post it now to see what some of my honest reflections were after last year's trip to Peru

This is the hardest thing to do when one returns from a foreign country doing missions back to the States. It's not just letting my stomach adjust back to food here (which at times, doesn't help), or getting enough rest to recover from an 11 hour layover, or getting used to sweating again because it's so stinking HOT in TX, but COLD in the Andes mountains in Peru. It's a matter of adjusting my mind and heart to what I've seen God do, what others in the world live like, and how to put all that together now that I'm back.



How do I justify picking up Sonic for $7.03 for lunch knowing that would feed 7 of us at the "restaurant" in Conima one meal?

How do I adjust to seeing God work in amazing ways as we had the chance to share the gospel with people each day, yet I'm still nervous to do so here with my neighbors?

How do I adjust to the fact that each night we taught the Bible to 10-18 people in a municipal building in the middle of this tiny town - and they received it and wanted to hear it - but doubt that people back home would be as excited to hear "the same old Bible stories again"?

How do I adjust from seeing 35 children each day at Bible school remember so much from each of the 3 stories we taught them, but we have a difficult time remembering the lesson taught last week, or even 3 days earlier?

No comments: