5/12/10

Last night in Conima

I decided to "fast" from the internet for a few days at the end of our trip to Conima. I wanted to blog two more times about our May 2010 trip to Conima. Here's the entry from my journal:

"We met Pastor Reuben and his wife, Luisa, today along with their daughter, Edit (Edith). It was so encouraging to see a believer in this area. He was full of life and light. He will be going with John Grady back to visit more with Luis and Gumercinda early next week - they were so open and receptive to God's Word.

Getting to share the gospel across the table from someone whom I cannot even communicate with was amazing. With Les translating, you could see that Luis and Gumercinda were captivated by the gospel - that Christ died for them.

When we shared the 10 commandments with them, John Grady asked if their culture worshiped idols, or anything other than God (Comm #1 & 2). They could see and acknowledge that they do. (Pachi mama and pap [mother and father earth], various virgins, etc.)

We left New Testaments with them as well as the Jesus Film translated into Aymara. John Grady told them to read John or Luke - they caught on to Luke, which corresponds with the movie, or "pelicula." If they actually read, John Grady and Reuben will give them a full Bible! This could be the beginnings of hte first church we plant in Conima!

Luis took extensive notes while Hal told the Flood and Les the 10 Commandments. I told him to just listen to me, since I would be telling a summary of the NT / Gospels. If he wanted to know more, he could read it. It truly was a thing from God to participate in and be a part of and witness. Jesus was so fresh and new to them - they didn't take hearing the Word of God for granted ... so refreshing."

After this entry, I couldn't help but write out this prayer, which I'm still asking God to answer:
God - what do I take back to the states with what You've shown me here? Change what You will in my life. What makes sense right now is that how I've been living, my calling, etc. has been reaffirmed. It's like Your Word came to life - I feel like I've been participating in the 1st century church. This feels right to do this - be on Mission and share the gospel - what have we missed in the states? What needs to change? What do You want me to do ... what can I do?

I beg you to ask the same question - if Christ has saved you and He's changed you from the inside out, is your life really showing that He's made a difference? Are you on mission, sharing the gospel? If I can via a translator, surely we can to those God's placed in our lives that speak our language and we don't have to travel to another hemisphere to witness to them ... what needs to change?

No comments: