10/1/12

The Death of an Old Man

Tuesday, September 25, 2012, my Granddad went home to be with the Lord.
That very same day 10 years ago (2002), I came to know the Lord.

I was given the great honor of preaching both his funeral this past weekend & my Grandmother's (his wife) three-and-a-half months ago.

When I realized the significance of this date (September 25th) in my life, my heart was stirred to write this poem, which I read at his funeral. In addition to the work the Lord had done in my Granddad's life, and in my own, there were three specific Scriptures that played a role in the inspiration of my writing. I have listed them at the bottom. The poem is titled, "The Death of an Old Man."

The Death of an Old Man 

There were two deaths that occurred on September twenty-fifth,
One life marked with grace, the other marred with filth.

One was in our present day, that’s why you all are here,
The other was some time ago, to be exact, 10 years.

One a husband & a father who had established his own home,
The other, these things, he hoped, he would one day become.

And as the first one passes on, a lineage he’s left behind
To the other, who 10 years ago, received sight when he was blind.

This present death is mourned today because of the life he lived,
The former death was celebrated: brought to life for he believed!

This present death is temporary, for you see one day he’ll rise,
The former death was eternal, for on the cross he fixed his eyes!

This lineage left to be received was rooted in the Word,
And in due time the Lord did move, and the first death finally occurred.

Now in this present death, we all look with saddened hearts,
For we’ll miss the man who lived so long ‘til his time came to depart.

But this man who’s gone would not return, if you were to ask him,
For He’s with the Lord, rejoicing now, as he worships God in heaven!

But what of the man who died before, the one a decade past?
He’s standing here before you now, “Alive!” he shouts, “at last!”

How does this paradox work, this death that leads to life?
It works when you believe in Christ, who gives eternal life.

This belief, this lineage, that is passed down to generations,
Involves repentance, faith, and eternal life. And now you must answer these questions:

Where will you fix your eyes? What will your faith be in?
I pray it be in Jesus Christ, who alone died for your sin.

In Christ alone our hope is found for life that follows death,
And in Christ alone new life is found, preceded by a death.

“I have been crucified with Christ!” My sins, he has atoned,
“The old (man) has passed away; behold, the new has come.”

It’s in the death of the old man that new life is truly found,
So both these men have now moved on, both are heaven-bound.

For both these men believed in Christ, Who took away their sins,
“Will you believe in Jesus too?” Is the only question that remains.

____________________________________________

Written by Jonathan W. Mansur on 9/26/12
For Granddad’s funeral on 9/29/12
In memory of Dr. Harl D. Mansur, Jr. (Feb 16, 1916—Sept 25, 2012)
__________________________________________________

"We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin." (Romans 6:6 ESV)
"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20 ESV)
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come." (2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV)

No comments: