4/1/10

Praying for Fairview Baptist

I signed up for a class at SWBTS that I had been avoiding for a couple years. Call it lack of faith in myself, or really God, since we place our faith in Him. The class is called “Spring Revival Evangelism Practicum.” It has been around for a long time. Each spring, SWBTS has sent up to 250 men to different churches throughout the country (specifically outside of the Bible-belt) which are in need of revival. These men prepare sermons, grow with one another in accountability, pray with one another and the churches for God to revive places that are in need of revival (note: all of us could use some personal spiritual revival).

This Spring SWBTS is sending about 70 of us into the field. Most went over Spring Break – the rest of us will be going May 15-20 or 22-27. Although the class is at SWBTS, all of us are sent out as extensions of our local churches, and thus the universal church. If you’re reading this and are a member with me at FBC Willow Park, thanks for allowing me the time off of work and the privilege of representing our church and Christ. If you’re a believer, we’re part of the body of Christ – so we’re all in this together.


This blog is simply to ask for your prayers. My heart is growing more and more burdened for the people at Fairview Baptist Church and the lost in Anamosa, Iowa. The pastor’s name is Lloyd. He’s been the pastor there almost 16 years. I’m about to get to know him a lot better as we chat more and more frequently to plan the events of this revival meeting. The week I’m there (May 15-19), I will be preaching a total of 5 times. I will update you more as the time approaches, hopefully while I’m there, and DEFINITELY once I return. I cannot wait to see how God moves and how the Spirit revives the church and town with the gospel of Jesus Christ.


I ask you to pray in this direction with me. Romans 15:30, 32 says this,


“I appeal to you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf, … so that by God’s will I may come to you with joy and be refreshed in your company.”


Now, I don’t head to Anamosa with the intention of being refreshed – but if by God’s grace that happens, praise His name. I do ask that you would strive with me in prayer that Fairview Baptist Church would be refreshed and that I would preach and evangelize boldly all week in Anamosa.


“praying at all times in the Spirit, … making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, … that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.” (Eph 6:18-20)


Pray also for Pastor Lloyd. Pray for the 20 church members at Fairview Baptist. Pray for revival to happen in my life, Lloyd’s life, and the life of the church. Pray that the lost would be saved upon hearing the great gospel of Jesus Christ.


“Continue steadfastly in prayer, … pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, … that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak. “ (Col. 4:2-4)


Pray that I would make the best use of my time traveling to, from, and while in Anamosa. Pray that I would have gracious speech, seasoned with salt, so I will know how to answer each person (Col. 4:5-6).


Thank you for your prayers and support.

No comments: