1/5/10

Bible in a year

One thing I've "resolved" to do in 2010 is read through the Bible in a year. I am using a reading plan I received via Twitter that John Piper and his church use (Bible Reading Plan). On January 1st I started reading in Genesis 1, Psalm 1, Matthew 1 and Acts 1. From these starting points, the following chapters and books are divided up throughout the year (the check-list bookmarks are quite helpful).

I know I haven't blogged in a while (since July actually), so I wanted to start it up again. Some of the blogs, like this one, will consist of some reflections of mine from God's Word as I go throughout this year. I hope you enjoy the journey with me ... maybe you'll even read through the Bible with me this year. It's not too late to start - each month on this plan only has 25 days instead of 30/31 (sorry February). So download the bookmarks and GET STARTED!

--------------

Genesis 4:1 - "I have gotten a man with the help of the Lord."
Genesis 4:25-26 - God "appoints" Seth to Adam and Eve in giving them another son.

I had wondered - with man staring death in the face because of sin and the curse of sin (always working the ground; from which we came and to which we'll go), where was the hope in these ancient times?

If our sin brought and brings death into the world, then any life must be from God. This must be why Eve said, "I have gotten a man with the help of the Lord." Even though Eve's name means "life-giver," she credits the life of her son to God.

God promised mankind that the offspring of a woman would bruise the head of Satan (Gen. 3:15), so I can't help but think Adam and Eve hoped that one of their sons may have been the fulfillment of that promise. It's no wonder that people began to "call upon the name of the Lord" from that time on (Gen. 4:26). They were awaiting what we now know to be the promised Messiah, who is Jesus Christ, the Lord (Luke 2:11).

From Genesis 3 on, mankind was awaiting the promise from God ... the One who would overcome Satan and death, doing for us that which we could not do. Jesus came 2,000 years ago as that One who ransomed us from Satan and sin. In the Father's perfect timing and sovereign will, believers now wait for His second coming, sharing this good news with all until then.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am reading straight through from Genesis. I just finished Psalms 119 - 176 verses. With everything going on in my life, this was very encouraging. "Let my cry come near before thee, O Jehovah: Give me understading according to thy word. Let my lips utter praise; For thou teachest me thy statutes." It goes on ... words to heal the soul. - Bert -

Jonathan said...

Amen Bert - amen.
We're praying for healing for your soul as well.